regional Consultant

For Information Contact

Ms. Lorraine Asciutto
SCST Team Assistant

609-530-3141 FAX


Enrollment Information

Mrs. Margaret Provost


Visit the
Katzenbach Programs


The Department of Education mandates the position of a Regional Consultant for children with hearing loss. The regional consultant provides assistance in the improvement of educational programs and services for students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.  The duties of the Regional Consultant include assisting district Child Study Team members in the educational evaluation and development of an appropriate Individual Education Program (IEP). Specific technical assistance for a local educational agency may include the following:

Consultation with staff in programs

  • Student observation

  • Meetings with professionals and parents

  • Review of records

  • Program Review

In-service training for staff 

  •  Inclusion of a student with a hearing loss in a regular education program (with or without an interpreter)

  • Amplification

  • FM systems

  • Educational interpreters

  • Cochlear Implants

  • Computer assisted note-taking devices

Considerations for Program Development

  • Participation of students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in the general education curriculum

  • Preparation of an appropriate Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Curriculum materials for Deaf culture, Aural habilitation, Speech, Language, and Reading

  • Related services and supplementary aids and services (in place or determination of a need for)

  • Use of an interpreter in the mainstream

  • Strategies for implementation of a specified communication philosophy

Dissemination of Information

  • Program locations, demographic statistics, contact person, etc.

  • Independent professionals available for services

  • Interpreter Services

  • Evaluation services and centers

  • State and national organizations involved with hearing loss

  • Recreation and summer programs

  • Telecommunication devices

  • Parent groups

Consulting services are available at the request of the District's Child Study Team. Parents and Guardians can request these services through their case manager.